Wednesday 16 March 2016

Honey Glazed Suya Chicken By Woven Blends

 written by 

Hey Loves!
I made some honey glazed suya chicken yesterday for lunch/dinner and I made a mini tutorial on my snapchat. A lot of people asked me for recipes, so I decided to actually document and share on here with you all. I used hen, but I recommend chicken to get the best out of this. Hen is harder, and so it takes longer to cook if it is not being boiled. I like hen because it is the closest thing to Nigerian chicken here. However, not everyone likes it.
To season chicken, You will need
1 whole hen/chicken
1/2 onion
thumb size ginger
2 garlic cloves
1/2 habanero pepper
1 knorr
salt to taste
1 tsp cinnamon powder
2 tsp black pepper
pinch curry powder
Blend your onion, ginger, garlic and pepper together. Add in your knorr, cinnamon powder, black pepper, curry powder and very little salt.
image
To start, cut off the neck in the chicken if it has not been taken off already. Turn the chicken breast facing down and cut out the backbone (this is what makes it a butterfly chicken). Turn it back and press on it to make it flat.
image
Season chicken with your blended ingredients. Above is a picture of what the ingredients look like with the extra seasoning. Mix it altogether and rub all over your chicken (back and forth). Be sure to poke your chicken with a knife so that the seasoning goes well into it. Let your chicken sit for about 30 minutes before grilling.
After 30 minutes, cover your chicken in foil and grill your chicken for about 45 minutes to an hour. Hen takes longer, so if you are using that, you will need to grill a little longer. I grilled the hen for an hour and thirty minutes.
image
In the meantime, while my hen was grilling, I made the sauce I coated it with.
For this, I used
2tsp oil
2tsp suya pepper (yaji)
3 drops of honey
The yaji pepper I have is really spicy, so I wanted something to tone it down and that is where honey came in.
Mixed these altogether to create what you see in the picture below.
Ps: This can also be used as a dip. It is great on its own.
imageimage
When the hen/chicken is half way cooked, coat it with your honey suya mix. Coat it on both sides until it is fully covered like you see below.
image
Grill for about another 15 – 30 minutes. You can let it dry out or keep it moist if you want.
image
I served my hen with some basmati jollof rice. The recipe for this will come another day.
image
I really enjoyed making an eating this meal, I hope that you do too. Don’t forget to leave me feedback. Every little helps :*
Thank you for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment