Wednesday 2 March 2016

Top 10 Fashion Secrets By Mary Edoro

Written by Mary Edoro

1: Size really aint nothin’ but a number

Source: StylishFish.ie

I’ve found out recently that sometimes it’s better to pay less attention to size tags and more attention to the fit. This is where shopping physically from a store beats online shopping for me. Because I’m a size 12 I’m always very particular about the fit; if it fits too small I’ll be so uncomfortable and if fits too big I’ll look completely ridiculous.

2: If it can be laundered, then it can be worn as many times


I particularly like this because there is a whole stereotype around repetition of clothes on social media. One of my favourite things to do is style a particular clothing item in as many different ways as possible. Don’t buy it if you can’t wear it in different ways. Wear a shirt with a blazer jacket one day, pair the same shirt with jeans and put a waist belt on the next day. Win Win!


3: Baking soda, I got baking soda!


What a lot of people don’t know is how great a cleaning agent baking soda is. I add a little bit of baking soda to my detergent and it works better. It’s so good for taking out stains on clothes and also for sneakers, yup!  When I feel the gleam in my beam is getting dull, I put a little bit of baking soda with some toothpaste on my toothbrush and scrub. It does the magic always. Baking soda is actually so useful and also costs as low as N200. Well my sister is a baker so I get an unlimited supply of baking soda.


4: Safe word “Monochrome”

Source: www.mirrorme.me

When in doubt of what to wear, I think pairing same or very similar coloured tops and bottoms has always been my saving grace. Colour coordination definitely agrees with all body sizes and goes with anything; skirts, dresses, two pieces. I love me some monochrome.


5: Fashion-economics


Asides from some classic Hermès and Chanel handbags which still sell for substantial prices even when they are old, fashion is rarely an investment. 

Too often I have bought things that I liked a lot and were fresh at the time; however, after a while I didn't feel like wearing them again. So, my 5th secret to you fabulous women is: Do not buy anything unless you SERIOUSLYYYY love it. I also believe in price checks and rational buying.


6: A moment please for all the dresses that turned to tops and/or skirts


Like my mommy will always say I’m still a growing child and sometimes I buy some really cute dresses that fit like a glove and in less than 6months, I’m wondering why I even thought it was cute. Well I found a solution and soon enough all my dresses that became too short are being worn as tops. Very convenient, right?


 7: Imaginary friends


By my imaginary friends I mean the gang of very stylish women I keep up with on social media. I always look for women with good taste in fashion that I can relate to and get the crumbs of their style then translate it in my own way. I also keep up with fashion bloggers, websites, especially Naija Fashion Daily to be up to date with growing trends. Find below a picture of some of my “very good friends” including Lisa Folawiyo and Jennifer Obayuwana. Wink.


8:  Safety pin


So like an old woman I always have one or two safety pins in the little pocket of my bag. You never know when you may have a wardrobe malfunction; say an over-ambitious slit or a broken zip. Trust me those little bad boys are the safest things to run to. Be careful though.


9: Fashion trick for foodies


The oversized shirts, maxi dresses and peplum tops are my go to outfits for when I go out to eat. As a certified foodie, I know that nothing should ever come between you and your happiness (food) but also as a certified fashion enthusiast I know that the belly pouch that comes with overfeeding is not cute.

 Oversized shirts and maxis are very stylish pieces that allow freedom to eat. So also are peplum tops, if the peplum falls just above your abdomen you can be sure that no matter how much you eat, you’re covered.


10: The Confident woman


My greatest feature is my ability to always wear confidence on my sleeves. My final and most important secret is to always be comfortable and confident in whatever you wear, wherever you are. Afterall, Confidence is the most important accessory!!!


Written by Mary Edoro
Instagram - @mmayyrihh

5 comments:

  1. Very good and practical fashion tips. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing tips you've got there, Mary. Every lady should use these in everyday life. Looking forward to seeing more posts from you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome post Mary Edoro. I like the elegant tips. I can't wait for your next write up. Cheers

    ReplyDelete