Monday 11 January 2016

NFD Interviews Celebrity Makeup Artist Oluchi Onuigbo


I had the pleasure of interviewing celebrity makeup artist Oluchi Onuigbo. Prior to the interview, I followed her for a makeup job somewhere in Lekki. It was nice to see her work her magic first hand. I found her ability to relate so easily with her new client quite fascinating. This is an essential part of the job as she points out later on in the interview. 


The interview was conducted in her car on our way to to grab something to eat at The Place in Lekki. I was eager to learn about her journey from an upcoming makeup artist  to the makeup artist to stars like Kate HenshawRita DominicOmawumiMichelle Dede just to name a few. 

Oluchi mentioned that she usually shy's away from interviews and public appearances so we are glad that we got the opportunity! She was honest, personal and open. 




Enjoy the interview below: 


"My name is Oluchi Onuigbo. I'm a makeup artist. I began my makeup journey about 2 years ago. Prior to that, I was a model. I have always had an interest in anything beauty related. From hair to makeup basically anything that has to do with enhancing ones features.

One thing I loved about the modelling industry was the beauty side of it, you get glammed up before a shoot and all. So I picked up the interest. I practiced a lot on my sisters, I lived on YouTube, after tutorials i would be like "ohhhhh I have to get this brush!" 

I remember doing my sister's makeup for her wedding back then! still can't believe it. 

During a holiday trip to the UK, my mum said to me, "Oluchi when you get back to Nigeria I think you should get proper makeup training" and then I thought hmmm that's a good idea. My boyfriend later gifted me my first professional makeup brush set without me asking. I thought this is a big sign! 

When I got back to Nigeria, I went to Zaron Cosmetics , they are just like family to me, I enrolled for makeup classes, I remember people not being sure of me because I used to be so tensed, with my hands shaking and all. Some weeks in to my training, Mary-Jane who I'm so thankful for because she is the one who connected me with some celebrities who I still work with till this day, 

sent me to a client to do her makeup. That was my first major job. Subsequently, I followed her for makeup jobs as her assistant.

One day after a job, Mary-Jane got a call from Rita Dominic requesting for a makeup artist  who could travel to Bayelsa with her for an event. Mary-Jane asked me if I could go and I was like Yes! I was excited for the opportunity but I have to say, that wasn't the best makeup job, I was so tensed with Rita Dominic being a celebrity and all. 
Not too long after, I got another call from Mary-Jane asking if I could handle Nigeria's Got Talent with Kate Henshaw. That's how I started working with Aunty kate!  



Aunty Kate is such an amazing lady. She took me as a sister not just as a makeup artist. She would pick me up on a daily basis and drop me off, She took me under her wings and ensured I was treated fairly. She always called me to do her makeup for events. I have traveled to different destinations with her.




Mary-Jane also hooked me up with Omawumi. very very lovely lady! so kind and caring.
From there, I started getting loads of jobs / referrals because I was associated with Influential women like  Rita Dominic ,Kate Henshaw and Omawumi
I have worked with so many influencial women that i cannot mention.

In a nutshell, that has been my story".


 Thoughts on  Nigerian Makeup Brands

"I'm highly impressed with some Nigerian makeup brands as they can be compared with foreign brands. Sometimes, I would rather use them because they give you better results as they are made for women of colour, made with the the Nigerian tropical conditions in mind. They are also affordable. It's always great to support Nigerian brands".

Ups and Downs of the Nigerian Makeup Industry

"In every field, there are ups and downs, The makeup industry is very competitive. Some makeup artists are willing to work for little or nothing. But focus on your brand. If you are good you would surely excel and your light would always shine".

Thoughts on before and after pictures

"I'm not in support of it. I don't do because I don't find it necessary. You can have it for your own keeps but I don't think it should be put online. People make a mockery of  your clients. I don't think that's fair".





Advice for upcoming makeup artists
 "Keep  practicing! I practice till this day. There is always room for more knowledge and improvement.  Be persistent, be patient with your clients and be tolerant because it wouldn't be rosy all the time. Have a positive attitude. Always appear presentable at all times. Hygiene is very important. Your tools should always be clean and most importantly keep to time!!".


Future Goals

"I work very hard and I take life as it comes. I know people have 5 year plans and so on but I could say I want to do this in five years and end up doing it  in 6 months. I'm spontaneous  and it works for me.  I'm working towards my goals taking it one step at a time".

More Photos of Oluchi's Fabulous work! 










No comments:

Post a Comment