Wednesday 10 February 2016

Album Review: Tiwa Savage's R.E.D Album


Hey Guys! I have been listening to Tiwa Savage's R.E.D album for a while now so I thought it would be good to share my opinion on the album. First off, I'm no music guru or critic. I am only sharing my honest thoughts and opinion.



As a fan of Tiwa, I was so elated when I realised that the #IamRed campaign launched by the Mavin crew on  social media was actually in anticipation of  her R.E.D album.

Prior to listening to the album, I read some negative comments on blogs and that sort of affected my judgement. When I finally got around to listening to the album, I didn't like it. Soon after, the video for 'African Waist' dropped and it only made it worse. I was thinking "which one is this again" I didn't quiet understand the concept of the song but the video was top notch.

 Two weeks later I decided to give it another listen with a clear and open mind and guys, to be honest I was disappointed in myself. I realised that I had allowed other people's thoughts cloud my judgement. The album was pretty solid. Tiwa may have put out better music in the past but there is no denying that this was a good product.

I think a lot of people (myself included) are used to the typical Nigerian sound so when they hear something different,they basically condemn the song which is funny because these same people also complain about the mediocre music some artistes churn out.

African waist ended up being a favourite, it's actually one of the best songs on there, the technicality of the beat is pretty amazing. I love the twists and turns of the song and that's what an album is about. Artistes and Producers should take risks, try out new sounds and push themselves.

For me, Tiwa delivered. I heard the old Tiwa which was exciting. Harmonies overload, unconventional, decent lyrics, each song had a direct message and story line. Most importantly I heard an artiste who has decided to stick by her rules, sound and calling  in an environment that tells you not to.

I still have to point out some songs I didn't quite appreciate. 'Say It' and 'Birthday' while I understand the direction of the songs, I have the least connection with them. Maybe a video for 'Birthday' would do the song justice.

My favourite songs are:


If I start to Talk ft Dr. Sid




Before Nko ft D'Prince




Key To The City ft. Busy Signal




Rewind ( Absolute Favourite)





Love Me Hard ft. 2Face




Standing Ovation ft. Olamide



Adura



We Don't Give A Damn




My Darlin'




African Waist ft. Don Jazzy


No comments:

Post a Comment